-
December 13th, 2001, 05:50 PM
#1
tom*
Guest
Hi,
I have a fairly high resolution JVC video camera unit (TK-something) with both RGB and composite outputs, and I am wondering is this would be a sutiable camera to use for frame capture, for instance coupled with a device such as Roger's Workprinter.
Is there a sensibly priced capture card in existance that will do the resolution of both video camera and Super 8mm film?
Am I correct in assuming that RGB provides a higher quality signal than composite, or have I imagined hearing that?
I think the board would have to be compatible with Premier's frame capture, or at least something that can capture as fast and as well to be usefull.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Tom
------------------
-
December 13th, 2001, 07:23 PM
#2
MovieStuff
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom*:
I have a fairly high resolution JVC video camera unit (TK-something) with both RGB and composite outputs, and I am wondering is this would be a sutiable camera to use for frame capture, for instance coupled with a device such as Roger's Workprinter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely. I use the component out of my Ikegami and it makes a big difference.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom*:
Is there a sensibly priced capture card in existance that will do the resolution of both video camera and Super 8mm film? Am I correct in assuming that RGB provides a higher quality signal than composite, or have I imagined hearing that?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
True component is by far the best but SVHS is a pretty healthy second. Unfortunately, capture boards that will accept true component from a video camera are pretty expensive. Mine cost over $5,000. I would see if you can get an SVHS signal out of your camera and look for a board that will take SHVS in, which shouldn't be hard to find. That will save you a lot of money and still get superior results that are darned close to component.
Roger Evans
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
-
December 14th, 2001, 06:01 AM
#3
Matt Pacini
Guest
This is a little secret that I usually don't tell people, because I'm embarrassed about it, but I used an Iomega Buzz video card to digitize from the SVHS output of a BetaSP deck, for my film, Lost Tribes.
I also went out of the same card onto a BetaSP deck for the master.
(I started with a DigiBeta master, then had a Beta copy from that).
It certainly doesn't look fantastic, but it's much better than you would imagine.
I was amazed at the quality of that little $200 board, because I really didn't expect it to look any good at all.
My freind has an expensive component capable board, and he was also shocked.
So it's worth a try.
------------------
-
December 14th, 2001, 11:07 AM
#4
tom*
Guest
Thanks Roger and Matt,
If you think that s-video is fine, then that settles the argument. Actually my wallet probably decides this one, with the cost of component capture...
It is good to know that the cheaper option provides a good result though. The point of Super8, for me at least is to facilitate film-making on my budget, so I'm trying to avoid high cost in any part of the process.
Thanks again for your help,
Tom
------------------
-
December 14th, 2001, 12:32 PM
#5
MovieStuff
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom*:
If you think that s-video is fine, then that settles the argument.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, let me make a distinction. The SVHS type signal transmission is almost as good as Beta component but the SVHS format isn't even a close second. What I mean is that I can take the SVHS out of my BetaSP deck and compare that image to one captured via true component and I can see little, if any, difference in the image quality. The same footage off an SVHS master transferred by SVHS doesn't even come close, in terms of image quality.
However, since you would be coming directly off the camera, I think that SVHS would rock. I just would not use the SVHS recorded medium. Instead, I would output via FireWire to miniDV or, if you DO use the SVHS out for layback to tape, then I would rent a BetaSP deck for a day and use that.
My two cents....
Roger
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks